Online Advertising for the Holiday Season
People spend more during the winter holiday season which means more opportunity for businesses! It’s the biggest sales period of the year so amp up your marketing efforts. There are significantly more impressions, click-through rates, visitors, and spending at the end of the year. Your advertising budget should change to take advantage.
Check out these marketing statistics on holiday shopping:
- 8 in 10 holiday shoppers are influenced by the internet before making a purchase (with search engines being the most influential).
- Mobile commerce sales are predicted to increase by 35% during the 2017 holiday season.
- One-third of shoppers report holiday weekend purchases were driven by promotions.
- 76% of mobile shoppers change their mind about which retailer/brand to buy from after searching online.
- 2017 holiday retail sales are expected to increase between 3.6 and 4% for a total of $678.75 billion to $682 billion.
- Almost half of younger consumers plan to spend more during the 2017 holiday season.
- In 2016, 40% of shoppers took advantage of mobile e-mail while holiday shopping.
- 27% of survey respondents stated that messages about additional discounts or clearance sales would influence them to make a purchase at a local business for their holiday shopping needs.
Since spending is up, your brand needs to be consistently posting content and running digital ad campaigns. People use social media for gift ideas, finding discounts, and reading reviews on products or businesses. For the holiday season, use relevant, lifestyle content with clear calls to action. For example: post a festive cover photo on your Facebook page or run a holiday contest/giveaway on your social accounts. Create a consistent experience across all channels, including your website, to increase brand awareness and engagement.
Online ads help to boost holiday sales and raise revenue. We have some tips:
- Online advertising should be more aggressive during this time. Raise your budget and use a sense of urgency in your ad copy.
- Ads should be festive but also promote current sales.
- Use a multi-channel strategy and be sure your online ads are actionable.
- Analyze the data to keep improving ads and make them more effective.
- Make the most of your ad budget and target the best audience. The targeting tools offered by Facebook and other social platforms mean you can choose the right eyes at the right time.
- Ad retargeting can convert online shoppers who visited your site, but haven’t purchased yet, into paying customers. Many people window shop online during this time so retargeting is crucial to converting these leads. These ads can be customized by their actions on your site, for example: displaying products they have previously viewed.
If you need help with online advertising, contact us! We’re experts with years of experience and would love to help you with running ad campaigns and creating an overall marketing strategy.